Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I tried...

After not having a temp for >24 hours, very little night coughing and generally feeling much better (and no longer listening to mom and dad's orders to stay sitting or lying on the couch), I sent Connell to school today for the first time since last Wed. Well, within an hour I had a call from the nurse asking me to come back to pick him up because he simply was coughing way too much. She described his cough as "horrific" and I was shocked because it was a little strong hearing a nurse who seems to see all types of illnesses for a living call my son's cough "horrific!"

I'm at wit's end at this point because Connell doesn't listen to anything we say anymore (like drink this, take that, lie down, etc.) and so honestly he is never going to get better. It doesn't scare him to think that he might have to go to the hospital with pneumonia. Nothing. He still gags up vitamins we give him, refuses to drink things that we try to give him (warm water with lemon and honey, etc.) and won't even take many of the meds that we have tried. It's probably frustrating for him as well since he has never been this sick before in his 5 years of life, but we just can't understand why he can't follow what we ask of him. The only thing I can think of relates to the fact that some kids go through some strange changes the first month or two of kindergarten and perhaps the fact that this illness combined with the second week of kindergarten is playing into it.

No comments: