Monday, October 22, 2007

Donald and Mickey are Ready for Halloween


I finally finished the boys' costumes and so we had to try them on.

Never again will I plan such a seemingly simple costume duo with no patterns --- I had to make everything for Liam's costume (except the white onesie underneath that you can't see) and without a single pattern! I spent hours and hours toiling trying to make that sailor top and adding the yellow stripes and button embellishments. Not to mention trying to make something resembling duck legs and feet. You can't even see the stuffed feathers that he has on his behind! The hat was difficult to make and Liam won't keep it on for more than two seconds. I decided against something resembling a beak because I knew that he wouldn't wear it anyway!

Connell's outfit was a little easier, but still had its share of complications --- I bought the pants and black shirt and red shorts at Saver's and simply had to alter them all to fit better. I used some tagboard for the white buttons that I sewed to the shorts. The gloves were totally sewn by eye --- first they were so big and so I slowly cut inches off of the fingers until they fit better. The ears were the problem -- I used a black pirate hat and cut all the extra stuff off. Then I took 2 covers for Hormel microwaveable meals and painted them black and used some black painted stickers to cover the air holes. A little gluing and more paint and it turned out ok. I used the extra pirate hat material to cut a cute spiral tail which is barely seen in the photo. Connell liked having black make-up on his nose, too!

All in all, I am happy with the fruits of my labor although I probably should have been cleaning my house instead of piddling with these costumes that will be worn for a few minutes total! I spent about $15. on all the materials that I used to make both of them which is more than I was going to spend, but like I mentioned early -- I didn't think this whole project through before I dove into it in August!

No comments: