Friday, January 4, 2008

My Backyardigans Obsession


I think I realized today for the first time that I am absolutely obsessed with the children's show "The Backyardigans" as I told friend Vicki (while exercising at the mall) about how our day is being planned around the 1 pm "Race Around the World" episode. That episode is probably my ultimate favorite though.

I think that the creator (Janice Burgess) is a genius -- if you haven't seen the show, it takes 5 animal friends (2 African American ones and 3 Caucasian ones) who act out an entire scenario together in their joint backyard (they pretend that they are in various parts of the world and in different time periods as well). The part that is simply ingenius is that each show has a music style theme (some of my favorites are zydeco, ska, reggae, Italian tarantella, tango, disco, punk, and oh the list goes on and on) and there are 4 songs from the style throughout the show. The cartoon characters' dance moves are professionally choreographed as well. The messages are usually pretty good as well teaching social skills. I allow the kids to watch this show mostly for music appreciation although I know that I get more out of each episode than they probably do. Ray also was kind enough to download the CD albums from the shows which has given us a 36 song CD with some of our favorite songs from the shows. We listen to it in the car and also dance around the living room while listening to it.

No comments: