Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Redecorating the Bathroom







A few weeks ago, I got the bright idea to redo the 1/2 bathroom on our main level. Since I have only painted once in my life (about 4-5 years ago in helping Ray to paint the large rooms in our newly finished basement) and that painting was very limited (Ray did most of it), I really am a rookie to the whole concept. I started by picking out the fabric for the window treatment (as I have always made all the curtains, valances, etc. in our house even though I never paint the rooms that they go in) and then matching a "basketweave" paint color to go with them. I decided to capitalize on the dark blue and lime green colors in the fabric as accents in the bathroom. I also wanted a French theme so I emailed my good friend of 20 years in France and begged her to take some photos of her village/countryside for me. I got some enlarged and reprinted and then framed them in my painted frames (probably a little wild for those of you who are faint of heart). Overall I am happy with the result although you can truly see (in person) that the paint job is quite amateurish. I really hadn't researched the methods of painting before I undertook the job and so there are lots of minor problems. Good thing I started in our smallest room in the house. I have decided that this summer I also want to undertake redecorating one of the upstairs bathrooms as well just to have the opportunity to improve upon my painting technique. We'll see how that one goes...

No comments: